June 27, 2011

Teen Room Redo Part 6: THE BIG REVEAL

and ... VOILA! My daughter's Paris/Hot Pink/Black&White *TEEN* ROOM :)

You can see the tutorials and lead up to the big reveal here in my 5 part series:
Part 1: Prettified Lamp Shade
Part 2: Easy Throw Pillow Makeover
Part 3: Easy Inexpensive Curtains
Part 4: Freezer Paper Stenciling & A Mod Podged Lamp
Part 5: Painting Furniture

The final parts of the project started the weekend of my daughter's birthday when she was away at her dads house.

This was how the day started ... quite a BEFORE picture!!

I spent HOURS in there going through EVERYTHING, taking out stuff she didn't need or use anymore, and just PURGING.

I needed to clear everything out so we could start with a totally CLEAN SLATE. So I removed EVERYTHING except the bed and desk.

Everything was going SO WELL ... until I ran into a bit of a glitch ... this baby.

I wanted to put our cedar chest into her closet so I could get it out of the way and really, this was the only place left in the house to put it :-/

So I HAD to figure SOMETHING out ...

And then it came to me! We DO own a screwdriver! lol

So I unscrewed the little plastic thingy on the floor that guides the closet doors ... and that gave me JUST enough swing on the doors ...

that it slid right in :)

I was quite proud :) LOL

So the rest of the weekend was CRAZY. It was a flurry of fabric, hot glue and spray paint but it was TOTALLY worth it by the look on my baby's face ...

I REALLY WISH I HAD A GOOD CAMERA >:-/ but you can get the idea ;)

She was VERY happy and VERY VERY impressed :)

And without further ado ... here is the end result with more information than you ever cared to get LOL

I found this desk at a second hand store for $20! The hubs and I sanded it down, painted it white w/black top and added new nobs ... looks FABULOUS!!!! I LOVE it :D

Painted the THRIFTED dresser - $20 + spray paint
Cavas of the Paris Skyline at Night - Target Clearance $6.98!

I found the mirror and frame at the dollar store and painted them, the lamp and shade at the second hand store for $1.99 and added fabric roses to it, the shelves at the second hand store for .99 each and painted those. I even got those pretty ceramic bowls there for .99!!!

Desk lamp & shade from thrift store, prettied - $1.99!!
Shelves and bowls - $.99 each!!

I made this jewelry organizer from 12x12 pieces of cork board that I covered with leftover fabric from the curtains - tutorial here!. I used push pins to hang up all of her necklaces and bracelets.

the tv stand I found at the second hand store for ... are you ready for this ... $3.99!!!!! and it was 40% off furniture day!!!! so it was only $2.40!!!!!

TV Stand, thrifted - $2.40!!!!
nightstands, painted - free + spray paint

She has a futon that I got a new sheet for (on clearance!) I got the vinyl sticker of the Paris skyline and both of the frames on clearance too!! The wall sconces were mine and I painted them black. I made the three throw pillows, though the middle one is a work in progress ;)

Full size fitted sheet from set - $5
Vinyl Paris Silhouette - $4
Frames - $1 each
Wall Sconces - free + spray paint
Polka Dot throw pillows made by me! - $1.25 each!!
Eiffel Tower Pillow made by me! - under $2


The bowl, lamp & shade I got from the thrift store for $1.99 and just added a new ribbon, and added some much needed height by standing it on some of her favorite books. The frame I got from a friend.

These side tables were once brown but we sanded and painted them to match the vanity desk :D They came out BEAUTIFUL! - as seen here!

The curtains I made - tutorial here!!! :D and a pretty white china vase from the second hand store with some pretty flowers :)

Her desk area. She already had the desk so I put up 2 more cork boards covered in fabric for school stuff/pictures, and organized her school stuff with a few dollar store and thrift store items.

I used a dollar store frame and painted it, put some fabric instead of a picture and BOOM it's a white board!

This lamp was on clearance ... and green lol. So some left over fabric and mod podge later ... it's pretty :D - tutorial here!

Lamp - $2.48!!!!

An old mirror we weren't using and some more dollar store frames painted white finish off the room :)

I've been collecting stuff for MONTHS and doing this room on a budget. I'm completely SHOCKED by the awesome deals I found. I don't think I paid full price for one thing in here!

It was a LOT of hard work, but it totally paid off :)

Linking up to these parties!

Keeping It Simple







Photobucket











somewhat simple
36th Avenue


Fancy This


Photobucket

sew many ways

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Just fabulous..looks like we had the same color palette in mind, take a look at the teenage room I finished earlier this year
Teenage basement penthouse

I think our daughters would be friends!

Coley said...

It has turned out so awesome! I love the look on your daughter's face. :)

TheCraftInMe said...

What daughter wouldn't love this surprise, great transformation!

idesign said...

the looks on their faces say it all! great job :)

Jackie
http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

This is the cutest blog! I love how the room turned out! Love the colors! Oh, all right love everything! I am your newest follower and would love it if you followed back! I look forward to your posts!

. said...

Everything looks fantastic! And I love all the deals you found and redo's!! The look on her face says she loves it. :)

Melissa @ Honeybee Vintage said...

Oh I would have LOVED this room when I was a teenager! Sometimes I wish I didn't live with a boy since pink has been banned from our bedroom:) Great job!

Becky@Organizing Made Fun said...

I'm sure she will enjoy it for a long time! What a lot of work you put into it. Very sweet!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

What a wonderful transformation! I'm sure your daughter will love her new room, especially knowing how much work you put into it! You did a wonderful job!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Too stinkin' cute!! You did a great job!

Unknown said...

That is so Awesome! I love the lamp and pillows. I just made my cork boards covered too. :) I love the black and white and pink! She looks so happy! Great job!

the cape on the corner said...

oh my gosh, that's fantastic! the look on your daughter's face is priceless, i'm sure she loved her new space. i would have loved to have a futon as a teen for maximum hang out space. awesome makeover, and the pics of you are hilarious.