June 20, 2011

Teen Room Redo Part 4: FPS & A Mod Podge Lampshade

There were 2 small projects I worked on in my Teen Room Redo that don't really warrant a post unto themselves so I've combined them, a mod podged lamp and a freezer paper stenciled pillow!

The Freezer Paper Stenciled Eiffel Tower Throw Pillow:

You can find a MULTITUDE of tutorials on Freezer Paper Stenciling and I'm sure mine is not the most thorough but here it is anyway ;)

Supplies:
  • "FREEZER PAPER" - found in most grocery stores with the aluminum foil, found mine at Walmart
  • Fabric
  • Fabric Paint
  • Graphic Art or Lettering
  • Cutting system - I cut this one by hand with my exacto knife but you can also use a Cricut, Silhouette
1) First I found a picture of the Eiffel Tower in google images that was a silhouette, less to cut out that way ;).

2) Next I determined, based upon the size I wanted the pillow, how big the graphic should be, and printed it out. I also printed out the words Paris, France too but ended up not having enough space.

3) Then I put the freezer paper over the graphic and traced the graphic onto the freezer paper with a pencil (I use sharpie now, thicker lines)

4) Next I used my exacto knife and cut out the Eiffel tower. When cutting this way, BE VERY CAREFUL not to rip or over cut your lines as your paint will seep into the cuts.

5) Then you place your freezer paper stencil onto the fabric where you want it and iron it into place.

*A NOTE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE* If you do NOT want a burn mark in the shape of the Eiffel Tower in the middle of your dinning room table, make sure to place a towel underneath your fabric BEFORE you iron it :-/

6) Put a piece of cardboard underneath your fabric and paint your stencil with FABRIC paint. Use plenty of paint as it can LOOK thick but then have areas that show through once it dries.

7) Let dry as per the instructions on the paint bottle.

8) Peel off the paper and VOILA!

Now, I was doing this pillow about 45 minutes before my daughter was set to come home and we were to do the BIG REVEAL so I ran out of time to actually, you know, make it a PILLOW. So I just set it out on top of the pillow I was going to use ;) But here are the finishing steps ...

9) I was going to cut a black piece of fabric the same size as the white and put it together, right sides together, then sew 3 sides, making sure to backstitch the ends.

10) Then I was going to flip it right side out, stuff it with the insides of this pillow, and sew up the 4th side. EASY PEASY :D

OK! So next is just a SUPER cute Lamp Makeover I did with the help of mod podge that I don't have any pictures for :-/

Found this super cute lamp at Target on Clearance and once I saw the price ...

I knew I HAD to do something with it! It was the wrong color completely but I had a full bottle of Mod Podge at home just ITCHING to be played with ;)

So basically I took two scraps of fabric from other projects in the room, measured and cut them to fit the lamp, then got out the Modge :)

I put a layer of it on the lamp itself, then laid down the fabric, smoothed it out, and after it dried I put a layer of it on the outside.

It dried a little tacky feeling, but OH MY is it cute or WHAT?! Then I hot glued the top of the fabric on the inside of the lamp and WAS DONE, my friends :)

My next Redo post will be about Painting Furniture and the AWESOMENESS that can be born so stay tuned for that!!

Linking up to these super crafty parties!

Keeping It Simple











4 comments:

Coley said...

I seriously am addicted to freezer paper stenciling. I love how your pillow turned out and the lamp is too cute!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Love the Eiffel Tower silhouette! And the lamp make-over ended up so cute! Thanks for linking up to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

I love freezer paper stenciling!! Your pillow is beautiful! And the lamp turned out pretty cute too.

Ashley said...

wow amazing job. i bet she LOVES it!!!!

i love mod podge and freezer paper!!
cant get enough!!!

http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com