September 23, 2012

Wood Block Pumpkins


 

When I discovered the PURE AWESOMENESS that Hobby Lobby had to offer last year one of my first purchases was a Bag O Wood.  It's basically a bag filled with different sized wood blocks and ENDLESS possibilities!  This was my first wood block project.  
 
Supplies:
  • Blocks O Wood
  • Sandpaper
  • Drill
  • Paint
  • Pencil
  • Pipe Cleaners


1. Sand & Drill - First you'll need to sand off any rough edges.  It also gives the blocks a cute look.  Then take a drill (no pic - sorry!!) and drill a hole into the top of the block where you want your stem to go.


2. Let your little helpers paint their pumpkins :) Everybody has a good time with this part!  It took us 3 coats to get the color we were looking for.


3. Take a pencil and lightly sketch your pumpkin face!  My favorite part about using the blocks was that we could do TWO faces.  One side we did a traditional pumpkin face, and on the other a GOOFY FACE! Complete with googly eyes!


 She is a fan of the googly eyes ;)


4. Next paint on your face!  You may need more than one coat.  Wait until it COMPLETELY dry, then paint your OTHER face!


My favorite part was getting to see the different faces these kids came up with! 


5.  Once you have your face painted, glue on your googly eyes! This is mine ;)

6.  Finally, take your pipe cleaner and bend it until you come up with a stem like shape, sorry no picture for this step :-\  Leave a little at the bottom to stick into the whole at the top, then make a leave shape, and go back and forth until you have a shape you're happy with.  It's actually WAY easier than I just made it sound ;)


TA-DA!! You have a family of wood block pumpkins!! Pretty inexpensive to make and SO much fun :)


Actually, you have TWO families of pumpkins!! I think my favorite side is the goofy side!  I just love how the googly eyes came out!






It just makes the CUTEST addition to any Halloween/Fall decor :)  If you make some, let me know!! I would LOVE to see how they come out!!

HAPPY FALL YA'LL!!

MONDAYS ~ mop it up mondays Sumo's Sweet Stuff BWS tips button DIY projects and crafts Keeping It Simple
TUESDAYS ~ Tip Junkie handmade projects I'm topsy turvy tuesdays Photobucket Confessions Of A Stay At Home Mommy TheRusticPig
WEDNESDAYS ~ the pleated poppy blog Momma Go Round
THURSDAYS ~ somewhat simple 36th Avenue Photobucket
FRIDAYS ~ Photobucket sew many ways

16 comments:

Food Done Light said...

Adorable idea - I saw it on Mop it up Mondays.

Two Succulent Sisters said...

Hi, I see you had some fun with paint. Nice. Would love to have you link up to our Pumpkin Party which is all about Pumpkins 0 cooking, decorating, etc. Thanks, hope to see you. Linda

http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2012/09/thirty-days-of-pumpkins.html

More Sister Stuff said...

Those are so cute!! And what a cute blog! We are your newest followers! :) http://moresisterstuff.blogspot.com/

Mrs Bishop said...

OMG! These are so cute, and how sweet that everyone can help out and make their own!

Erin said...

Super cute! It's amazing what you can do with blocks of wood and paint isn't it? I'm pinning to hopefully make sometime. :-)

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

Pumpkins are my favorite way to decorate for Fall. I love that these are simple and the kids can help. I just saw this on A Bowl Full of Lemons, and I love it! If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll visit "One Creative Weekend" on OneCreativeMommy.com today (or any time Fri-Wed) and link up!

Claire @ The Rustic Pig said...

Oh how I love this!! I don't decorate too much for Halloween, but I can see having my kids help me with this and LOVING every second of it!! THANKS so much for sharing!! I will definitely be doing this!
I would love for you to link up at my linky party.. http://www.therusticpig.com/2012/09/linky-party-2.html

Liz said...

Great idea! Love it!

Lizzi's Creations said...

Those are super cute! I love it!

Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

I'm hosting an It's Fall Y'all ~ Linky Party. I would love for you to share this, and any other Fall projects you have! Hope to see you there :)

Claire @ The Rustic Pig said...

Hi Christine! Thanks so much for linking up at The Rustic Pig last week! I chose your cute little pumpkins as one of my features this week! If you'd like to grab a feature button and link up again this week, I'd love to see you! www.therusticpig.com Hugs!!

Tonna @ Navy Wifey Peters said...

The block pumpkins are so cute! I'd love for you to share them at my new linky party, Submarine Sunday. I hope you'll stop by!

T'onna
http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/10/submarine-sunday-1-linky-party_7.html

Tonna @ Navy Wifey Peters said...

Thanks for linking up at Submarine Sunday!

Shannon Barefoot said...

Visiting from Made By You Monday...What a fun project. I love these! I would love if you would share this (and some of your other fun ideas) at my link party going on right now:

http://sewingbarefoot.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-weekly-creative-3.html

Hope to see you there!
Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

ARod Rodriguez said...

so cute they look awesome

Jill said...

These are so cool! Love how simple they are!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/