October 13, 2011

Halloween Tutus! Part 1 - A Darling Devil

Last year my sweet 8 year old wanted to be a devil. At about that time I was introduced to the world of TUTUS. And oh my ...

So I decided that I could totally make one, scoured the internetz for tutorials, and ended up getting completely HOOKED on them. I found a way to work them into each girl's costume and about 50hundred more ideas :)

The tutu's I make are the super fluffy double layer ones. I probably use more than tulle than most but I like my tutu's POOFY lol

I'm going to attempt a tutu-orial on this but I have no measurements and can't seem to think good (lol) but I have pictures so I'm gonna throw something together. If this isn't enough info here are a few links that helped me :)

How to Make a Tutu
Quick and Easy Way to Cut Tulle

Now on to the Tutu-orial :)

1) I use 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch elastic. Measure your elastic around your victim model. Subtract an inch for stretching.

Sew your elastic together either with a machine or by hand several times back and forth.

2. Use the link above about cutting tulle and cut you strips. How many depends on how big and long and poofy your tutu will be and I find it hard to guestimate so I just cut like 20 strips at a time.

3. To make a poofy tutu, take 2 strips and criss cross them, making an X shape.

4. Take the X and hold opposite sides together. It helps to have something to put your elastic around so it stays taut.

5. Feed the tulle through the elastic either from bottom to top or top to bottom, either way will work.

6. Wrap tulle around finger and pull back through tulle loop. Pull tight.


7. Pull down and tight but not TOO tight that it wrinkles the elastic.

8. Keep doing that until you hate the sight of tulle and your elastic is covered :)

*Now depending on what look you're going for you can do solid color, stripes, stripes with on color dominating, several color stripes, or one color on top and one on bottom. They all look great!

Another finishing touch is adding a satin ribbon top. Very simple, just weave the ribbon over and under between each strip of tulle. Then tie a bow in the middle :)

My little devils costume turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!

I found a cute head band and pitch fork at JoAnns to go with it, and freezer paper stenciled her a shirt :)

She absolutely LOVED it and I just can't tell you how happy it made me!!

My Darling Lil Devil :)

Tune in next for Part 2 - My Witchy Woman ;)

Linking up to these awesome parties!


Photobucket
sew many ways

Keeping It Simple





Photobucket
Confessions Of A Stay At Home Mommy

Photobucket

8 comments:

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

That is super cute! She is a doll!

Mandi@MandiBeingCrafty said...

Cute costume! Your little girl is darling!

Courtney said...

I featured this post today on my blog! :D

www.betweenuandme.com

Unknown said...

I did not realize how simple you made it...I maybe can handle doing one of these for my three yr old gran-daughter she has a tu-tu but it is getting small she need a bigger fluffier one like this Love your photos ..they really help out.

- KAT -

Unknown said...

Super super cute! I love it! I'd love for you to link up on {Not So} Tough Tuesday's on One Tough Mother, going on until Wednesday at midnight!

www.onetoughmom.blogspot.com

Hope to see you there!

Unknown said...

Super super cute! I would LOVE to have you link up on {Not So} Tough Tuesday's on One Tough Mother, going on until Wednesday at midnight!

www.onetoughmom.blogspot.com

Hope to see you there!

Ivy said...

GREAT TUTORIAL!! I've been helping a friend build their Facebook page and we posted this tutorial there! I don't know if you have a Facebook page or not. It you do, I will link it up.

Here's the page we shared your tutorial on: www.facebook.com/esfabrics

Thanks for this GREAT DIY!!

Cuttysark said...

Thanks for the tutorial, i will do this for my daughter. very easy and beautiful.

Cheers and hugs,
Halloween Costumes ideas