October 18, 2012

"Pretty As A Peacock" Tutu Costume

Last year, my oldest wanted to be a peacock :)  My girls have a good time coming up with interesting ideas for their costumes!  I had to think about how to make the tutu LOOK like a peacocks tail, something new and different that I hadn't seen before! 

  
So following my tutu tutorial HERE, I did the same basic form but something a little different for the tail.  I used slightly longer pieces of tulle and instead of folding them in half, I folded them with one long end and one short. I did a few different long/short length variations so it would look poofy but tapper down in the middle.  Then I added to the middle of the bow a cute peacock feather accent I found at Hobby Lobby :)

  
Her complete costume :)  I found the shirt at Dollar Tree and freezer paper stencilled it with the cute phrase cut out on my cricut.  I ended up taking the feather accent off the back of the tutu and putting it on a dollar store headband, which was super easy because it was once piece!

She really liked the idea of a mask so I found one for her at Rite Aid on clearance!  I found some single feathers at Hobby Lobby and hot glued them to the side.  Then, I wrapped a pencil in some ribbon and hot glued that to the back.  Add a few more coordinating ribbons to the bottom and there you go!

Add some black leggings and ballet flats and the look is complete :)

A better view of the back.  I think the "tail feathers" really came out cute!! I worried that they wouldn't fluff out right or look like I envisioned, but I was VERY happy with how it looks, and so was she :)

My pretty little peacock :)

I love that even at 14 she still wants to dress up and go with her sisters out Trick or Treating :)  It can be difficult these days for girls her age to find costumes that are appropriate and modest, so I LOVE that she'll let me make one for her!

This year she wants to be a mummy ... with a tutu of course! Can't wait to see how it comes out ;-)

8 comments:

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. said...

This is adorable! I love tulle costumes! I am hosting a Halloween Costume Contest on my blog and would love for you to enter! Grand prize worth over $125!

www.createcraftlove.com/2012/10/handmade-halloween-costume-party.html

Hope to see you there!

Liz said...

Great idea! I love peacocks!

Kristen said...

such an adorable costume!! If you have a chance I would love for you to link up to handmade tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blessings.com

The CSI Girl said...

SO very cute! Love it all! Cute model too! I hope you will share this on The CSI Project this week starting Wednesday night. The challenge is DIY Halloween Costumes. Come on over! You just might win!!!
www.thecsiproject.com

Jill said...

What a great peacock costume! Love it!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Shannon Barefoot said...

This is adorable! Thanks for sharing this at The Weekly Creative.

Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

Anonymous said...

So cute!!! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!!!

T'onna

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

Congratulations! I loved your idea so much that I featured you on OneCreativeMommy.com today. Please stop by and grab a featured button if you’d like. I hope you’ll be back to share more great ideas at One Creative Weekend tomorrow.