June 9, 2011

Teen Room Redo Part 2: Easy Throw Pillow Makeover

Part 2 in my Teen Room Redo Series is about as easy as you get! I had 2 pillows just sitting in my closet doing nothing so I decided to use their filling and make new pillows for Teen's room!

Supplies:
Fabric - 2 pieces per pillow 15" x 15" (or measure your old throws and add an inch for seams)
Batting or pillow filling or old throw pillow
Fabric for flower
Button
Sewing notions

1) I measured and cut the fabric.

2) I put the right sides together and sewed up 3 sides of the square (remembering to back stitch), then flip the square right side out.
  • This is where you would add the flower is you were going to ... you could add a rosette, or a yo-yo, this was just a ruffle.

    1) I took a strip of leftover fabric, fold in half (wrong sides together) and sew on the longest stitch you have.

    2) I gathered the ruffle and wound it around itself a few times until I had the size of flower I wanted.

    3) I sewed it to the pillow with a pretty ugly but sturdy stitching job.

    4) I sewed on the button to cover the ugly stitching mentioned above ;)

3) I took the old pillows, cut them open and stole their insides. I know I could have made slip covers but this seemed WAY easier at the time ;)

4) I stuffed the square, folded the open side inward and sewed it shut!

Easy right?! And how stinkin cute is that?! I made two since she has a futon and I was going to put it up like a couch to give the room that Uber Grown Up Feel :)

Here's another sneak peek ;) Oh I just love how the room turned out!

Stay tuned for Part 3: Easy and Inexpensive Curtains!

Linking up to these super fun parties!

somewhat simple

36th Avenue



Fancy This



Photobucket

2 comments:

Denise said...

I love the fabric and the colors. The lamp is adorable too! I found you on The 36th Avenue's Let's Party # 5 list. Creative people inspire me and this project is an example so I decided to follow you to see what else you will do. I hope you will follow me back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I can be found in facebook too http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and twitter @DeniseLillaRose If you like/follow me there I will do the same for you. When you stop by my blog, please check out my kind of fashion (hair jewelry).

Ladybird Ln said...

I love the colors, perfect for a teen room! I am having a PILLOW FIGHT on my blog, for charity, and would love it if you would consider linking up, and taking part in it!

Carlee
http://www.ladybirdln.com/2011/05/pillow-fight-for-causepart-1.html