January 9, 2012

A Twine Tree for My Winter Mantel

My winter mantel is a work in progress, I'm afraid. I was hoping to have my decorating done by now, but have been busy working on late Christmas gifts :-/

One night this weekend however, I got distracted. I was sitting at the bar talking to the hubs while he was making dinner and saw this ... it spoke to me.

It said "MAKE ME PRETTY!" and batted it's eye lashes at me. How could I resist?

So I made a pretty little twine tree with a ball of twine and styro cone, both from the dollar store :)

1. I started by just holding the twine with my fingers and wrapping it around once, then gluing it in place.

2. Repeat for the rest of the cone. Simple as that!

3. For the top, I did a strip of glue down the middle and wrapped the twine around and around until it reached the center, then cut and held it down til it dried.

4. Since my twine is from the dollar store, it probably wasn't the BEST quality, and had some fly aways. I just took a small pair of scissors and cut them off mostly. I like a little bit poking out here and there, but not quite THIS much.

DONE!

Ok, now this is where I'm torn ...

I like it here sitting on the mantel ... but ...

I kind of like it here too with the pedestal ... I'm torn.

What do you think?

So there's my cute little twine tree, made with dollar store items, for my winter mantel! HOPEFULLY, I'll get the rest of it finished and have more pics up soon!

Linking up to these awesome parties!



Tip Junkie handmade projects

I'm topsy turvy tuesdays



Photobucket
Confessions Of A Stay At Home Mommy






http://www.bluecricketdesign.net/



somewhat simple
36th Avenue

7 comments:

Janel from NellieBellie said...

Ahhh twine...one of the great supplies of all time! YOU did a great job!

Cathy Mini said...

It may be from the Dollar Store, but it's suppper cute! Plus, I think that twine should be a little rough around the edges! It makes it look more rustic, which from the looks of your mantle I figure you were inspired by!

Cheers,
Cathy

Unknown said...

I like the simplicity of the twine! I am making these with candy for my daughter's bday party centerpieces. Nice job! New follower from Rock N Share, stop by and visit me...

http://blissimagesandbeyond.blogspot.com/

Erika

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love the texture that twine adds! AND I love it up on the pedestal.

Linda said...

I like your twine tree tutorial and hope you will link it up to my Show It Off Thursday party at:

http://ornamentplace.com/?p=1140

Thanks, Linda

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Love your frugal twine tree! I like the flyaways look. :-) I think I prefer it on the mantel. I am a new follower visiting from The Shady Porch. Vicky from Mess For Less

Unknown said...

I love cute, easy, (cheap) decor like this. It looks like something you'd get at Pier 1 or Crate & Barrel! I LOVE IT!

I'm hosting a winter theme link party today and would love it if you linked up!

www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

-Melissa